Be Safe This Thanksgiving
We've finally reached the holidays. Thanksgiving is Thursday and though this years Thanksgiving will look different for most, there will still be people in the kitchen preparing delicious Thanksgiving meals. More than three times as many home cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving day as opposed to any typical day of the year. In 2018, fire departments throughout the U.S. responded to an estimated 1,630 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving day. Here are some ways that you can reduce your chances of becoming part of the statistic this year.
- Remain in the kitchen while your food cooks. Unattended kitchen is by far the leading cause of kitchen fires.
- Keep kids away from the stove.
- Make sure there are no cords for electric appliances that are dangling off the table or counter
- Keep matches/lighters away from children
- Keep floor clean so you don't trip while carrying hot food.
- Test your smoke alarms prior to cooking to make sure they work.
SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon is a 24/7 emergency restoration service so if something goes wrong while you are preparing your meal, don't worry, we'll still be just a phone call away.