Unhook your hose
Unhook your hose from your house
So it has recently came to my attention that there are some people that do not know that you need to unhook your hose from your house in the winter. I never really thought about that. It was just something that I always did. This is actually a very important step to winterizing your home. When you do not unhook it the water stays in the hose and backs up into the pipes when the temperature goes below freezing the pipe will then bust from the pressure. That will result to water in your walls and all over your basement. On an average this is about a $5000 claim. That is nothing anyone needs to be dealing with at Christmas. This mess and this expense is easily avoided by simply going outside and unhooking all of your hoses from your house. By the way do not be ashamed if you did not already know this. apparently most people do not know this. Historically here at SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville our busiest time of year is right after a big freeze and this is the reason why.
Here comes the winter
Get ready for the winter storms
Here in Western St. Charles County we always know that behind every beautiful fall is a snowey cold winter. Although it is Missouri so who knows when that will happen. Snow always look so pretty and is fun to play in. But it can also do some serious damage to our homes. Some things we need to remember as the weather gets colder is to be very careful with those space heaters. Do not leave them unattended, do not have them on around children. If knocked over or if they have anything laying on the they can cause a fire so easily. And make sure to clean your chimney before starting a cozy fire. over the summer birds will build nest in your chimney. When these nest catch on fire at the very least it will cause major smoke damage to your house. Always unhook your hose from the house. If this is not done you will end up with busted pipes and water damage. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville will always be there to help you out but we would love to see you take percaustions to prevent you from needing us.
Trying to Clean up fire damage yourself
walking into the fire
Cleaning up after a fire in your home is not an easy task. However there are people who want to try and tackle this job on there own. Here at SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon /Wentzville all of our techs are highly trained in this. Here are some pointers that they have for you do it yourselfers.
With any fire you are going to have a layer of soot on your walls. You will want to get as much of this dusted off before attempting to clean it with detergent and bleach. this will be greasy. if you decide to repaint after cleaning be sure that the walls are free of all soot and that they are 100% dry.
Until your house is clean limit your activity in the house. You do not want to embed the soot into your carpet and furniture. You will want to have the air ducts cleaned and place a cloth over the vents.
Get rid of all water damaged items in your home. Firefighters are great and we are so gratefull that we have them to put out the fires however that was accomplished with water. and water can cause mold. open all your doors and windows and air out your home.
You will want to pull out all the carpet and get the flooring cleaned very well.
Avoid smearing the soot and smoke into your clothing. This will happen if you simply throw it into the washer. You will need to soak all clothing. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/ Wentzville can help you. If you have any questions about how to do this call us at 636-856-6202
It is also very important to soak your dishes and clean each and every one of them.
Keep the kids safe
We all would like to think we would know what to do in the case of a fire in our home. And when the home is just adults it may be real easy to talk yourself into thinking you would know what to do. Maybe you would. But once you start adding kids to the house it is a different story. Do you have your escape plan in place? Do you know what you would do if a fire started upstairs where your baby is and you are downstairs. or if the fire was in the hall and your kids were in their rooms? This is all very scary to think about and that is why the average person just puts it out of their mind. I urge you that if you do not have a plan in place sit down with your family and talk about it. go over a few different plans talk about where you would all meet outside. talk about how you would know who was going to grab the baby or the toddlers. Talk to your toddlers about getting down below the fire. Maybe even visit a fire house with them. Be safe. Think ahead.
What is lurking behind your walls?
Mold is such a tricky thing. You may never know you have it. It can make you feel very sick but when you cant see that you have mold you may not realize that is the problem. That was the case at this store. And it was not until they went to remodel that they realized there was mold behind all the wallpaper in the entire office. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville is able to detect where there is mold. By being able to do that they are able to keep the cost down by not taking out drywall that is not effected. We pride ourselves in being an advocate for the business owner/ home owner. We will never over demo. It is so much easier on the customer and the Insurance company to only fix what is broken. That is what sets us here at SERVPRO WOW apart from the other restoration companies.
Cold weather is coming
Hot Chocolate in the fall
As we enter the fall season and colder weather we know here at SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/ Wentzville that means snow storms and busted pipes. There are a few things you can do to try and prevent that. First of all please be sure that you disconnect your garden hose from the side of your house. And for all you snow birds out there and vacationers. Turn off your water supply to your house when you leave. If you do not know where that is you will want to find that out. You should know where your water shut off is and you should clearly mark it with a tag of some kind. Call 314-608-8119 if you need us to bring you a tag. this is just good knowledge to have. if you were having any kind of water issues like a broken pipe the 1st thing you want to do is shut off the source. I hope this was helpful.
When you crawl space fills with water.
When The Crisis Nursery Has A Crisis.
The workers at the Crisis Nursery heard a noise coming from the floor. They decided that they should get a hold of someone to check it out. As soon as their maintenance opened the crawl space they were shocked to see that there was water almost to the top. They called SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville right away and we got to them withing 1/2 hour of the call. It was a good thing that we were that quick because had we not been the water would have damaged the entire floor from underneath. Our guys got in there and extracted all the water right away. Because of that there was minimal damage.
Wentzville Fire Department
Cleaning the Fire House
When the Wentzville Fire Department was getting ready for their open house at their main fire house on Luetkenhaus blvd. they wanted to be sure the building was as clean as could be. They hired SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville to come in and clean their carpets. We were able to work together on when the best time was to come there. When we left the place looked and smelled like brand new. The Wentzville Fire Department is always so great to the community We were happy to help them out.
Are you having family over for the holidays? Or did your house just have a hard summer? We can come and not only clean your carpets but also your air ducts. We can eliminate all those nasty smells that you can not seem to locate the source of.
A Faulty Battery
Have you ever left a battery plugged in to be charged? Well that is exactly what this guy did. It seems like a perfectly normal thing to do. We all do it. Only this time the battery happened to be faulty. No one was hurt but the entire garage was destroyed and a lot of smoke got into the house. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville was able to clean up a lot of their belongings and in the big picture the fact that no one was heart is the main thing. However just because of one dumb little rechargeable battery their garage went up on flames and the house suffered major smoke damage. All of the insulation in the attic was damaged and it caused a huge mess inside the house.
No Matter The Damage
STL Shirt Co. Bathroom
There is no damage to big or to small for SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/ Wentzville. When a fire happens you just need to know that we can take care of it. We can handle everything from the initial Board up all the way to the cleaning and returning the content. When there is a fire in a business the amount of money that has to be paid out by insurance depends a lot on how quickly you call us and who you call. SERVPRO WOW prides ourselves in being able to get in there and clean as much as possible instead of just throwing everything out. And also getting to the job and getting it started quickly. That will cut down if not completely eliminate any mold issue. Just remember when you have a disaster call us 1st. We will get it boarded up and get started right away.