Greg & Joanne giving us a presentation at the company Christmas party 2020
I would like to use this blog to give a special thank you to our amazing owners, Greg and Joanne Young. When Greg and Joanne purchased SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville back in 2017 they had two things in mind. Providing top-tier customer service for their customers and a good friendly work environment for their employees. They understand that the work we do isn't exactly the most enjoyable, so they make a point of making their crew members feel appreciated for all of their hard work. One of the many ways they do this is by throwing an annual Christmas party. Everyone here looks so forward to this Christmas party every year. It's always fun when we can all get together, outside of our shop walls, and really cut loose and have some fun together. This year, Greg and Joanne put together a very thoughtful power point presentation that highlighted some memorable moments this franchise has endured since it's conception back in 2017. They also made up some fun "awards" for all of us. Would feel guilty if I didn't mention how they hooked us all up with some pretty sweet presents as well. So thank you, Greg and Joanne for all you do for us and thank you for making SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/ Wentzville such an enjoyable place to work!
THANK YOU COI’S!
A little token of gratitude for our COIs
It’s hard to put in to words just how much we appreciate our COIs. Without you guys, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to get up everyday and do what we love, which is helping people in need and giving back to our amazing community. Knowing you guys think of us and trust us when a client, friend, or family member is in need of our services truly means the world to us. So, thank you from all of us at SERVPRO of Western O’Fallon/ Wentzville for another amazing year of business, putting smiles on faces, and making disasters “Like it never even happened.” Happy holidays everyone!
Winter is Coming
Winter has arrived and so has the crazy Missouri weather. A lot of snow and storms in our very near future. As I'm sure most of you probably know, heavy rain, hail, and snow can be very harsh on buildings. It will loosen the shingles on roofs, cause moisture that will get through the protective layer of roofs causing moldy, saggy roofs and leakage leading to even more mold around the inside of the building. If you experience this, it's very important to have a trustworthy, reliable, fast operating restoration company come out to your location as soon as possible to assess and combat the problem. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville can be that company for you. Our rapid response time, hardworking crew, and customer service over all mentality is exactly what you need to get your building back "Like it never even happened."
Be Safe This Thanksgiving
Turkey getting put into oven
We've finally reached the holidays. Thanksgiving is Thursday and though this years Thanksgiving will look different for most, there will still be people in the kitchen preparing delicious Thanksgiving meals. More than three times as many home cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving day as opposed to any typical day of the year. In 2018, fire departments throughout the U.S. responded to an estimated 1,630 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving day. Here are some ways that you can reduce your chances of becoming part of the statistic this year.
- Remain in the kitchen while your food cooks. Unattended kitchen is by far the leading cause of kitchen fires.
- Keep kids away from the stove.
- Make sure there are no cords for electric appliances that are dangling off the table or counter
- Keep matches/lighters away from children
- Keep floor clean so you don't trip while carrying hot food.
- Test your smoke alarms prior to cooking to make sure they work.
SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon is a 24/7 emergency restoration service so if something goes wrong while you are preparing your meal, don't worry, we'll still be just a phone call away.
The Dangers of Water
flooded living room
We've been getting a lot of rainfall lately and there is more to come. You know what that means. Floods! Floods can damage your home in multiple different ways. It can saturate everything in your home like drywall, flooring, and contents. Possibly the most dangerous result of flooding is the mold that will most likely begin growing in less than 48 hours. This is why dealing with water damage immediately is so important. My DIYers out there will probably reach for their mops and box fans once a flooding occurs. Given how little of an amount of water that it takes for mold to occur an how quickly it spreads, I highly recommend getting some professional eyeballs on the situation. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville can be out to your location in no time to begin the mitigation process in which we will properly, thoroughly, and efficiently clean all building materials to minimize the amount of contents/material that needs to be disposed of or replaced.
electrostatic sprayer visual.
We've nearly been dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic for nearly a year at this point. Hopefully all you business owners out there have been exercising your CDC protocols in your work area to ensure a clean and safe work environment for you and your employees. We understand how time consuming exercising these protocols can be. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville offers a highly effective Coronavirus disinfecting service. We use an electrostatic sprayer. An electrostatic sprayer will positively charge the particles within it so when sprayed, they will stick to negatively charged surfaces such as tables, chairs, counters, keyboards, etc. Compared to a standard disinfectant spray, in which the particles will just fall straight down, the electrostatic sprayer will give you more coverage in less time.
Causes of House Fires
burning down home
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 350,000 house fires every year here in the United States, resulting in around 2,000 deaths. It's impossible to know when a fire will start in your home, but here are a few of the most common causes of home fires that you could keep an eye on.
- Electrical. Whether it be short circuits sparking up and igniting nearby building materials or circuits overheating from being overloaded with current. Electrical fires are certainly one of the most common causes of home fires. If you're moving into a new place, we recommend having an electrician check out your wiring to make sure everything in in order and safe.
- Home Cooking. Probably hands down the most common cause of house fires. Typically caused by overheated grease or accidentally leaving the stove or oven on. If grease gets hot enough, it can actually ignite itself. Also, when you use portable appliances like toasters or griddles, be sure to thoroughly clean and let cool down completely before storing it.
- Heating. We're currently transitioning into the cold months. As everyone gets ready to turn the heat up and break out the space heaters, it's very important to be cautious. You'll be fine as long as you don't leave/fall asleep with your space heater running, don't leave anything flammable near it, and don't put it near fabrics like sheets or curtains that could catch flame.
- Christmas Decorations. Christmas is next month. Bring on the Christmas lights! Be sure to be cautious though. Christmas trees, though they're great to look at, can be very hazardous. Make sure all of your decoration lights are off before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Candles. An obvious one considering that there is a literal flame involved. Never keep anything flammable nearby, keep out of reach from pets or children, and absolutely DO NOT forget to blow them out.
I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to be mindful of these things, but the more midful you are, the better off you will be. If disaster ever strikes your home, call SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville!
Storm Season Preparation
are you ready?
As we inch closer and closer to the long awaited conclusion of 2020, it's time to start thinking and preparing for that second wave of storms we here in Missouri expect towards the end of each year. Here is how SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville recommends you prepare your home for storm season.
- Trim the trees in your yard.
- Clean your gutters and waterproof your home
- Get a back up sump pump
- Secure things such as patio furniture
- Install storm shutters
- Put together an emergency kit that will help in case of power outage
- Put together a "to-go" emergency kits filled with contacts or items you might need if you are out of your home
- Compose an inventory sheet for things around the house
- Consider getting a generator
Do these things and enjoy the peace of mind that comes along with it.
Preparing Your Business for Disaster
disaster recovery start/stop
This one is for all my business owners out there. I know owning a business can be very stressful and can feel like the workload is never ending. Proactiveness towards potential disaster probably isn't too high on your list of priorities. But, if you execute these 10 steps, you can rest a little easier knowing that you'll be ahead of the curve if something disastrous were to happen to your place of business.
- Assess your risk from both the inside and outside.
- Assess your critical business functions.
- Prepare your supply chain.
- Back-up your data.
- Create an emergency management plan.
- Create a crisis communications plan.
- Assemble emergency supplies.
- Plan for an alternate location.
- Review your insurance coverage.
- Test your plan.
Doing these steps will grant you peace of mind knowing that when disaster strikes, your business will be that much closer to recovering from it.
Importance of Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
before/after air duct unit cleaning
As important as it is to routinely clean your air ducts at your home, it's just as important to routinely clean them in your office building. 3-5 years is the recommended interval between cleanings. Here is why this service might be more important than you think.
- Improved air quality for staff/customers
- Properly controlled temperature
- Decrease mold growth
- Decrease in musty odors
- Decrease in allergy symptoms
- Improved cleanliness of the office in general
- Improved air-condition efficiency by extending it's lifespan and reducing running costs
- Able to identify possible problems and being able to fix them before it's too late such as sagging vents, loose connections, or cracks.
These are the reasons why we recommend getting your office's air ducts cleaned every 3-5 years. Call SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville to schedule this service today!