This homeowner had an electrical malfunction in one of his vehicles and unfortunately had a fire start in their home. They knew of SERVPRO through their great friends (our franchise owners) Greg and Joanne. They immediately called SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville as soon as they filed a claim with insurance.
SERVPRO was immediately on site the next day to begin the initial inspection. They found soot throughout the main level of their home but little to no soot in the finished basement. The remediation began with packing out all salvageable contents that could be cleaned of the present soot—items such as clothing, bedding, kitchen dishes, entertainment centers, etc. Our content cleaners at the warehouse began restoring the items for the family so that they wouldn't be without them for long. Back at the home demo started with tearing out the affected carpet and pad in the rooms and hallways. The next step was to dry sponge all surface areas that were affected by soot including walls, ceilings, cabinets, countertops, light fixtures, toilets, showers, windows, and any/all structure materials. The garage was a huge part of the home that was damaged due to the fire so the crew spent several days demoing the walls, pulling affected insulation, and inventorying all affected contents. The studs and trusses were cleaned heavily due to being the most affected by smoke/soot damage. The floor was also heavily cleaned due to having a ton of insulation and debris. SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville was able to get the home restored in a timely manner so that the reconstruction team could start their work and get this family back into their home soon.