If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (636) 856-9700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Causes of House Fires

11/5/2020 (Permalink)

ranch house in flames burning down home

According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 350,000 house fires every year here in the United States, resulting in around 2,000 deaths. It's impossible to know when a fire will start in your home, but here are a few of the most common causes of home fires that you could keep an eye on.

  • Electrical. Whether it be short circuits sparking up and igniting nearby building materials or circuits overheating from being overloaded with current. Electrical fires are certainly one of the most common causes of home fires. If you're moving into a new place, we recommend having an electrician check out your wiring to make sure everything in in order and safe.
  • Home Cooking. Probably hands down the most common cause of house fires. Typically caused by overheated grease or accidentally leaving the stove or oven on. If grease gets hot enough, it can actually ignite itself. Also, when you use portable appliances like toasters or griddles, be sure to thoroughly clean and let cool down completely before storing it.
  • Heating. We're currently transitioning into the cold months. As everyone gets ready to turn the heat up and break out the space heaters, it's very important to be cautious. You'll be fine as long as you don't leave/fall asleep with your space heater running, don't leave anything flammable near it, and don't put it near fabrics like sheets or curtains that could catch flame.
  • Christmas Decorations. Christmas is next month. Bring on the Christmas lights! Be sure to be cautious though. Christmas trees, though they're great to look at, can be very hazardous. Make sure all of your decoration lights are off before leaving your home or going to bed.
  • Candles. An obvious one considering that there is a literal flame involved. Never keep anything flammable nearby, keep out of reach from pets or children, and absolutely DO NOT forget to blow them out.

I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to be mindful of these things, but the more midful you are, the better off you will be. If disaster ever strikes your home, call SERVPRO of Western O'Fallon/Wentzville!    

Other News

View Recent Posts