Prepare your home and yourself
We had a pretty bad winter here in Western St. Charles County. But really it was even worse north of us. The weather is starting to look better, and we are all itching to get outside. But we have not made it out yet. Spring in Western O'fallon and Wentzville are known to bring some heavy rain along with winds. This can be very damaging to your home if you do not get it ready. So, it is a good thing you want to get outside because I am going to have you put a few things on your to do list to help prevent you from having to call SERVPRO. The heavy snows may be long gone for the winter, but the effects are just starting to roll down. When the north gets as much snow as they did were do you think it goes when it melts? If you guessed down the Mississippi you would be right. We are more than likely going to experience some major flooding in our area this spring.
So lets get started on that to do list as soon as possible.
- Inspect your roof and your siding. In heavy winds if you have loose siding or shingles, they will more than likely blow away. When that happens, you may end up with a lot of damage inside your home.
- As a rule, Shredded bark of mulch is a better landscaping to have than rock in the event of heavy winds. Bark or Mulch will do way less damage than rock if picked up and thrown around by winds. Butt there are really pros and cons both ways for that. I just thought I would point that quick tip out.
- Clean up and trim any shrubs and trees. In the event of high winds weak branches could break and fall on your roof or through a window. Dead and loss branches in the shrubs can also do some damage.
- Check your cutters and down spouts. If your draining system for your house is not working right than all the prep in the world won’t help you. I am sure you cleaned out all your leaves in the fall but get up there and make sure that they are still there. And If you have not taken down your Christmas lights for goodness sake do that while you are up there. Also check and make sure nothing is loose. Now check the down spouts. Are they secure? Are they pointed away from the house? Do they come at least 3 ft away from your house?
- And of course the sump pump. Your sump pump is going to do some major work this year. A lot of people hardly ever go into their basement. You need to go down and check on your sump pump and be sure it is working properly.
- Last but not least get yourself ready. Make sure your flashlights have working batteries. And go over an action plan with your family. Better safe than sorry!
If all else fails know that SERVPRO of Western O’Fallon / Wentzville is there for you. Call us any time of the day or night. We are ready 24/7/365.