Be Prepared for Snowstorms this Winter in St. Charles County
We are currently in our first snow storm of 2018 here in St. Charles County. While the kids are enjoying their snow day and snowball fights, we still need to recognize that some these storms can be dangerous, and we need to be prepared. Unfortunately, some storms can come along with ice or last several days making leaving the house no longer an option. Here are a few tips to help make sure you are prepared for when/if we do experience a bad storm:
- Create an emergency supply kit for your car. Include jumper cables, sand, a flashlight, warm clothes, blankets, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks. Keep the gas tank full.
- Stay off roads if at all possible. If trapped in your car, then stay inside.
- Know your area’s risk for winter storms. Extreme winter weather can leave communities without utilities or other services for long periods of time.
- Prepare your home to keep out the cold with insulation, caulking, and weather stripping. Learn how to keep pipes from freezing. Install and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors with battery backups.
- Gather supplies in case you need to stay home for several days without power. Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Do not forget the needs of pets. Have extra batteries for radios and flashlights.
- Learn the signs of, and basic treatments for, frostbite and hypothermia.
- Use generators outside only and away from windows.